CLIENT: Employee benefits and property and causality carrier and broker.
OVERVIEW: The Lewer Agency, Inc., a fifty-year old insurance brokerage in Kansas City designs medical benefit plans for international students. The plans provide comprehensive medical insurance benefits for inbound and study abroad programs. Unlike most insurance agencies, Lewer processes all claims internally to ensure prompt and consistent service, administrative accuracy and timely communications.
Washington University in St. Louis has a nationally acclaimed student health insurance plan that covers 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students and their dependents. All students are required to enroll in the plan and the university becomes the primary care provider in a comprehensive student centered health and counseling service role.
ISSUE: The Lewer Agency had the opportunity to design and implement a medical insurance plan to serve this prestigious institution and their student body. However, they had to win the business from an entrenched incumbent provider. Lewer Agency had to find a high gain and compelling differentiator to win the deal.
The Lewer Agency needed to develop a strategy to secure Washington University’s business and to administer and adjudicate the expected claims volume. Lewer met with the Trabon Solutions team to discuss how to provide services that would differentiate and elevate their service offering. Trabon recommended a web enabled, secure student health care portal to link seamlessly to the university’s student health web site.
The portal was designed to give students access to all current medical insurance, including:
- Registering for coverage
- Using and understanding the plan
- Enrolling dependents
- Printing ID cards
- Purchasing additional coverage options
- Submitting and tracking claims
The portal also enabled the student health services department to track and monitor student activity.
- Lewer used the web portal idea as a key element of its presentation and won the business from the competition.
- The portal greatly streamlined and simplified the communication, implementation and monitoring of the university’s medical insurance plan
- Ongoing enhancements to the portal have resulted in improved performance in two subsequent renewal periods
- Lewer has leveraged information from this project to improve service and performance for other clients
- The web portal technology now includes an “online” waiver system for Lewer client schools that give their students the option to waive coverage